Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sub Zero = Treadmill

It was probably good that I listened to Shannon and ran indoors on the treadmill at the gym this morning instead of trying to brave the elements and survive a workout in the frozen tundra. The temperature was 3 deg this morning and the weatherman was reporting the wind chill made it feel like –7 degrees! I’ve never been a huge fan of treadmills, preferring to run outside year round. But some days, like today, it probably makes better sense to watch sportscenter and listen to a podcast while spending some time on the turn belt.

So this AM I got in a solid 75 minute run and worked up a pretty good sweat. I showered quickly, threw on my clothes and cruised off to work apparently without adequately getting a chance to cool down. When I went out to lunch today and got into my car, the steam coming off my body during my ride into work had frozen to the inside of the windshield. It was so cold there was no time to evaporate it just crystalized on the windshield! Never thought I’d have to scrape the inside of my windshield.

Actually this winter I’ve completed several workouts on the treadmill as I’ve been nursing a groin injury and have wanted to keep things a little more controlled rather than risk re-injury on the trails or icy roads. I picked up some tips from Paul DeWitt’s blog on treadmill running and have also been following a marathon training plan from the Boston Marathon site. The interval and tempo workouts noted in the training plan have been easier to execute on the treadmill. My mileage over the last 6 weeks has only been in the 35 to 40 per week range but they’ve been quality miles so I’ve been pleased with my training.

2 comments:

Wildefrost said...

Haha, your coworkers must've looked at you like, wtf?

Scott said...

Alos, I dressed so fast that morning I apparently didn't zip my fly up all the way. After being at work a few hours I glanced down and was like wtf!?