Friday, November 30, 2007

Presidential Traverse

Last summer, my buddy Mark and I hiked the entire Presidential Range in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in one day. Configured in light and fast mode, I was geared up with my Gregory Z35 pack, Merrell Chameleon ll light hiking boots and Komperdell trekking polls. With a pre dawn start and some assistance from Mother Nature, we had a full, weather perfect day for hiking.

Quick stats:
Distance covered: 24 miles
Elevation gain: 9,075 feet
Peaks bagged: 11
Time to complete: 12 ½ hours
Gorp consumed: A lot

Here’s a quick video of some pics from the hike:



Here’s a google map of the route uploaded from my Garmin Forerunner 301:


Here’s a table of the trails we used, the peaks we summited along with the distances, elevations and time of each segment of the traverse:


Spreadsheet

A goal of ours is to run the entire trail section between the AMC huts in 24 hours. According to the AMC website it's a 56 mile trek and climbs a total elevation equivalent to Mt. Everest. With a little luck on our side, I think we can do it. We’ll see…

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow, I've been looking at this spreadsheet... that's a lot of cum time!

Lauren said...

Just kidding. You guys rock. I'll think of you next time I drag myself up the hour-long hike to the Jay Peak summit.

Kdconnolly@yahoo.com said...

I'm heading up to hike the same traverse this week...Shoe choices are either low cut Merrell hiking shoe or running shoes...any recommendations? Out West I wouldn't think twice about running shoes...

Kelley