Saturday, June 27, 2009

VT 100 Training

Intermixed with a hectic schedule the past few weeks, I managed to log some great training runs. Today was no exception. I met up with Mark at the Nipmuck Marathon course at 5:00 AM. For this morning's long run we had the pleasure of a "real" trail runner join in on our training: Mary Fagan. She's quite accomplished in the running circles (VT 100 winner, National 50K Trail Champion...). Simply put, she rocks! I was a little nervous when she showed up and was ready to run with just a single water bottle in her hand. Ummm... No water belt with multiple bottles, no gu, no salt tabs, no hat, no gaitors, no tp? Mark and I carry a pantry full of stuff when we run. :) But Mary took it easy on us. We ran pretty steady and she told us all kinds of stories from her races. It was like a live podcast of all things trail running! Thanks Mary for joining us and we look forward to seeing you in Vermont in a few weeks!

Mary and I

Mary and Mark

This past week I had a business trip to Oslo, Norway. I had some time to get out for a 10 mile run through the city. I ran parts of the same route from the last time I was there: A Run In Norway. Once again the weather was perfect and the sights were beautiful. A few pics from my run:

Oslo Cathedral at Stortorvet Square

The Royal Palace

Vigeland Sculpture Park

View of the harbor from the Oslo Opera House

Last weekend I managed to sneak in a half marathon run. The rest of the weekend we hosted an awesome 5th birthday party for Alex and enjoyed Father's day (half of it anyway as I had to fly out to Norway in the early afternoon.)

The weekend prior, Mark, Bruce and I logged a 51 mile training run. Mark planned out three loops (18, 19 and 14 miles) which allowed us to refuel at our vehicles several times. The course had lots of hills and dirt roads with ~5650 feet of elevation. We ran solid and completed the run in 8:40. The only downer was Bruce got his 5 gallon water jug stollen from the route. Who steals water jugs?

Mixed in with all that have been several Happy Hill Wednesday mornings. Mark, Bruce and I have been meeting up at 5 AM to run hill repeats over at Soapstone Mtn.

I hope were ready for VT!

3 comments:

mary said...

Hi Scott!!

The run today was great!

Thanks so much for the company!

Can't wait for VT!

You are definitely ready to get your buckle and have an extrordinary time.

See you up there!
Taper and stay positive!

Good strides,
Mary

Bruce G said...

The PARTY begins in less than 3 weeks and you ARE ready....

fire0419 said...

Good Luck with VT 100- wish Keith and I could be there to cheer you guys on. I'll miss being the handler!